Saturday, January 12, 2008

Pilot to Co-Pilot…we have liftoff


1/11/08

My Niece Anna turned 5 today and my dad turned 61J
Happy Birthday!

In late night conversations between two usually incoherent fools, tentative agreements were made to go for a run. Gary, the idiot described in my first entry, expressed his intent to, “make you hate me the last 40 miles!”

Gary is coming to WI. I couldn’t begin to describe the strength, focus, and fear this gives me. I am a wealthy person in many ways, and this one. I have friends that push me and believe in my crazy goals. Then there is Gary, a drunken fool who can run faster and further than most people on earth. I assumed, when he told me that he was coming, that he was coming to try to break the very aggressive course record. I was wrong. Instead, he is coming to drag my sorry ass through the final 40 miles of the race.

The Kettle100 ultramarathon allows for racers to run with a pacer from the 100k point through to the finish. These final 40 miles are the most difficult, have the most severe elevation change, and covers the roughest terrain. I ran this 40-mile portion during last years Kettle100 as my first go at an Ultramarathon. This year I only will have to run 60 miles prior to getting to this point. BUT, when I get there…THERE WILL BE GARY!

1 comment:

Gary Robbins said...

Yer awesome dude! I can't wait to get down there and watch you suffer like you've never suffered before...and of course follow that up by drinking like you've never drank before...well at least not in a long, long time!
I'm more excited for this than most races I've done myself! Of course getting to see Spencer and Em are the main reasons I'm actually coming!!
GR