Tuesday, January 29, 2008

To shake or not to shake...

So Gary, I think you are the one person who may occasionally check this out, and if there are others, by all means, you as well, to shake or not to shake?

My training is hitting a mark of consistency right now. It may not be the exact mark I would idealize, but I am happy to be out pounding on some miles, and doing it in more fun and creative ways than I have ever done before. However, with this training schedule, an already oddly efficient metabolism, and a very active job, I am losing weight that I don’t necessarily want to be losing. I have had this before, but was a little too green to realize that it was really working against my training and overall well-being. This time I think I see the problem, but am having trouble taking in the calories, while still eating healthy food.

I start each day with 3 eggs (2 whites, one yolk) with mozz cheese, a bagel, fake butter and a cup of coffee. If I run in the morning (rather than the night before) I add a Gatorade to that. That is a whopping 400 calories give or take 25. Throughout the day I snack on pretzels, apples, sometimes bananas, water, a bagel, and an occasional teacher’s lounge brownie or some other crappy sugar treat. Then at night I have added a sandwich when I get home and then dinner. After dinner I’ll add a grapefruit or some other fruit.

That is a ton of eating that comes to only over 300 calories (between 3000- and 3400 depending on the “treats” and beer some nights). My resting metabolic rate is 1975 calories. That is sitting in a chair all frickin day…I have never done that in my life. On run days, I had a trainer (the guy that did my MBR and lactic acid threshold testing) estimate that I should be taking in between 3500-4000 on regular run/work days, and 5000 on long run/snowshoes days. HOLY SHIT!

So…what do you do? Do you drink high calorie shakes? Do you masturbate less? What do you do?

No comments: